It's been awhile since I've previewed one of the vintage pattern books, so I took a gander though my box and came out with an early 1960's selection from Columbia Minerva. This is book number 732 and contains a variety of patterns for sweaters, jackets, cardigans and a three coats. A couple of the patterns are standard fair, but most have something special going on; either in design or pattern stitch. Most of the patterns are knitted, most with some crochet detail included, and just two of the patterns are all crochet. There are 32 patterns in all - all a promotion for Columbia Minerva's Knitting Worsted, Calypso, Calibar and Calibrette
The front cover features two cardigans and a slipover (732-1, 2 and 3). All three knitted, with crochet.
- A cabled cardigan reminiscent of Jackie O style .. just below waist. Sized 12 to 18, knit with crochet
732-5 (on left) and 732-6 (on right). Both have great pattern stitches; both are knitted; 732-6 has a touch of crochet.
has an attractive mix of diamonds with a moss stitch carried across front, back and down the sleeves. It is knitted, with crochet details.
has a sweet pattern stitch and quite a feminine collar. It is on the short side (a definite 1960s style), just below waist length and three quarter sleeves.
(on left) and 732-10 Cardigan (on right). Both these pieces are knitted, with crochet detail. Both are attractive fair, but 732-9, with those elbow length bell sleeves and big collar are just a notch above.
- I don't know the name of this pattern stitch, but what a delight it is. I particularly like how the pattern is pulled onto the collar, versus a ribbed effect. It is knitted and sized 12 to 18.
732-12 - Fair Isle Cardigan
is worked by directed yarn color changes, not a chart. It is knitted with crochet detail with solid contrast for fold-over collar, sleeves and button band.
(on left) and 732-14 Cardigan Jacket
(on right) - Two great wardrobe choices; both knitted, with crochet detail.
- Here we have a knitted double breasted beauty with a fold over, wrap across collar. It is sized 14 to 20.
have added a double breasted inset panel - fashion and flair. It is knitted, with crochet edging and sized 12 to 18.
- The collar on this jacket is so wonderful that CM nailed it by making the rest of the design straight forward and simple. It is knitted and sized 12 to 18.
732-18 - Jacket
- This piece just builds on itself ... first the pattern design, then the big buttons, the 3/4 sleeves and then, that collar. It is knitted, with crochet edging.
- Short and sweet with the potential of making just the right statement. It is knitted.
732-20 Slipover -
A high neck pullover with raglan 3/4 sleeves and waist length. Oh, and that delightful diamond geometric edged design!
732-21 Poncho with Slipover
- This is a two-fer pattern. First is a standard ribbed turtleneck slipover sweater, and then a motif designed tabbard with side ties. (CM are referring to it as a poncho). Both are knitted, the poncho has crochet ties.
- A nice sweater with banded V-neckline, three quarter sleeves and patch pockets. It has an outdoorsy flair.
732-23 Slipover (on right) and 732-24 Slipover (on left) - Two great slipovers; one with an incredible cowl neck and one with a panel inset. Both are knitted; pattern on right with crochet edges.
This out-of-the-ordinary has a raised diamond motif, edge ribbing and an attached tie scarf collar. It is knitted and sized 10 to 16.
732-26 Slipover, Hood and Mittens
- a three pattern set. The sweater features a strong cable pattern, which is matched on the gloves and detachable hood. It's knitted with crochet ties and edges. Mix and match all the way.
- The is a design of understated elegance, featuring a honeycomb stitch - dress it up, or dress it down. It is knitted.
732-28 Cardigan Jacket
(on left) and 732-29 Jacket
(on right). Columbia Minerva offer up these two exclusively crochet patterns - both loose fitting and comfortable in appearance, with great collars and sleeve variations.
- This coat has that WOW factor. Simple and elegant, with the strong cable highlights. It is knitted, with crochet edges and sized 10 to 20.
732-31 Hooded Coat
- This design is bold and fun; hip length with the checked pattern, hood and contrast bands. It is knitted, crochet detail.
- And, last but not least, another long knitted coat - simple like a long sweater. it is knitted with crochet detail and sized 10 to 20.
As typical with the earlier pattern books, the back cover is the same as the front shown above. Now, as I work through the book, I process the patterns that I put in my shop. This takes several days. Which means, I've been looking at these designs quite a bit. I have to say, there isn't a single one that I don't like. And, the photography ... well, soft, romantic and sweet. The pictures are a delight to look at.
Well done Columbia Minerva ! The titles with highlighted links are available in my shop, should you be interested.
Thanks for dropping by,